Monday, May 3, 2010

Self Portrait : About Me

My first assignment in my new photography class (Black and White II) was to do a self portrait. I definitely had struggles with this assignment, because I don't particularly like looking at photos of myself. But the purpose was to reveal something about yourself within these portraits.

In the spirit of self portraits, I thought I might also add some things about me. This thing was floating around on facebook a few months ago, it's called "25 Random Things About Me." I thought it would be fun to add in addition to my portraits.



1. I'm a student, living in Florida and studying photography.

2. I'm from the Pacific Northwest which I believe is one of the most beautiful places in the world and I really feel it has shaped me into the person I am now.

3. My first love and greatest passion is sailing, my first memories are on boats and I started racing competitively when I was eight. Some of my closest friends are the people I've raced with over the years and they are the happiest people I know.

4. I love anything and everything to do with the ocean including diving, sailing, snorkeling, wakeboarding and learning to kite board. I get really sad and sometimes sick when I've been away from salt water for too long. This was a bit of a problem when living in China.

5. I have a big fear/fascination with sharks. Actually it's not just sharks, it's any animal that could possibly eat me that I'm scared of, i.e. lions, cougars, bears, tigers (oh my!). But sharks really take the cake for me.

6. One time in Arizona, before my family moved to Bellingham, I was almost kidnapped when I was walking home from a friend's house.

7. I got my 200 ton captain's license when I was 20.



8. I don't wear makeup and haven't done for a few years now. It's very liberating.

9. I have the most beautiful niece who is 3 years old.

10. I miss my girlfriends so much now that we don't all live in the same town.

11. I love all animals (even the ones that can eat me) and can't wait to be in a place where I can have my own.

12. My favorite all time snack is Pirate Booty. It's the most delicious stuff on earth.

13. I love reading, especially books that I can relate to and learn from. But I also love blogs and learning different perspectives on life.

14. I AM the most insecure person I know. That being said, I realize it and am learning to let go of what other people think.



15. I've lived in Arizona, Washington, SE Asia, Maine, South Africa, China and Florida.

16. I've been to 6 countries in Asia, and if I were to be religious in any way I would become Buddhist. I've been inside way more Buddhist temples than churches.

17. I like doing all things outside.

18. Sometimes I have weird dreams that I know are dreams but I can't wake my self up and I'm paralyzed.

19. I'm afraid of the dark. And I'm just realizing this when Eliot is away and I wake up in the middle of the night by myself.

20. I've had stitches above both my eyes from 2 completely different incidents, one of which was just a few years ago.

21. Ariel is my favorite Disney Princess and when I was little I used to make everyone call me Ariel. (My grandma still does sometimes)



22. I HATE being cold, but am very rarely too hot. I can get uncomfortable in the heat, but it's way better than being miserable in the cold.

23. I'm learning to be creative. I've never thought of myself as a particularly creative person before. I'm attending an art school, and in a lot of ways feel like I'm going back to my roots. I think everyone is creative in some form, but a lot of us have learned how not to be.

24. I think good friends are so important and I feel so lucky to have them. Even if they are all over the world and I rarely get to see them.

25. I love my life and most importantly the person I get to spend it with.



Whoa! Ashley overload for serious. I'm so happy to be moving on past the self portraits.


1 comment:

Samantha said...

The self-portraits turned out beautiful! I especially love the balance and composition on the first, the perspective on the one with the books. The last one makes me feel like I'm peeking over a bush at a beautiful lady ;) Haha well done!

Related Posts with Thumbnails